Saturday 28 December 2013

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

I finished reading this about two minutes ago so be prepared for ramblings of a lunatic disorganised thoughts. (did you see what I did there?)  Not what I was expecting, and I was expecting great things. It took me by surprise that it was so different and not in any way disappointing. I loved the writing, the protagonist, the antagonist and just everything.

I gave it five stars on goodreads!

The reason for the five stars is that this book ticked all the boxes.
REASONS FOR THINKING THIS:
1) Tahereh Mafi's writing style is poetic yet not fanciful, you are not lost and confused with her astounding metaphors but are enchanted by them instead. They have a connection to the world that you understand which is where some poetic writers go wrong. 

2) Juliette is probably one of my favourite protagonists ever because she is strong even though she has been oppressed her whole life and still doesn't feel the need to unleash her gift onto others like Warner wanted her to. That is an example of her good nature and strength, it's easy for a lot of protagonists to fall into a world of revenge and destruction, thankfully Juliette is strong enough not to forget her morales and her beliefs despite her cruel world. Well, I say 'her cruel world' but it is ours, we would run and hide if we came across someone who could kill you with the merest touch. 

3)There was a clear antagonist. I hate it when books just flit from one feeble antagonist to another for no reason, it's tiresome COUGH twilight COUGH. Warner reminded me of Klaus from the Vampire Diaries. His intentions were clear, evil but clear. I want to know more about his back story, (I do plan on reading Destroy Me), I wanted more of him in this book, he was clever and calculated and didn't miss anything. As much as I liked him as a character I liked that Juliette shot him. Far too often the main character is too timid to try and pretend that they like the person standing in their way to get what they want. It only reinforced my love for Juliette's character.

4) Plot wasn't overly complicated, it had a balance between 'stuff reader nEEDS to know' and unnecessary information. Okay, I wasn't entirely sure how the book was going to progress at certain points, it didn't bother me much because I was so engrossed. Either way, it was not predictable which is probably the most detestable thing a book can be. You want to try to finish it in case you're wrong but you just waste your time, this was NOT like that at all.

Hope you enjoyed, until next time,

goodnight, 
-Emilia c:



No comments:

Post a Comment