Friday 27 December 2013

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson & Lauren Myracle

My first Post-Christmas read.
This is the first book in a while that has just made me happy to read because it was warm and fluffy, perfect for christmas time. The three romances were totally different and equally as heartwarming. The three romances were very different, where they crossed paths was smooth and made sense. The characters were well developed even though they each had about 120 pages (except the last one). 
I gave it five stars on goodreads.

The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson

I liked the way that it was gentle, slow almost but in the kind of easing you into the story and setting everything up kind of way. Jubilee and Stuart was the simple beginning, not too much thrown at you right from the word go. That's why it's so nice to have a book where it sets your mind at ease, it doesn't drive you insane by leaving tiny clues everywhere. It's like a restful sleep to calm you down. 

Nothing seemed particularly generic about these stories which was absolutely wonderful, I was afraid they'd all be a bit samey, alas I should've had more faith in one of my favourite authors! (john green, in case you were wondering.)

I have yet to read any of Maureen Johnson's or Lauren Myracle's books, after this I expect I will soon.

A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green

Something I really enjoyed about this story was (deliberately or not) the characters (to me) felt reminiscent of Pudge, the Colonel and Alaska which was nice, if you've read Looking for Alaska you'll know why. John Green has a very obvious writing style which somehow manages to translate thoughts into text really well, it's one of the reasons I enjoy his books so much. 

This section of the whole book felt like a snipet from one of his other books rather than a short story like the others, perhaps because he's the only one that has other stuff I've read/  As always I laughed aloud when I was supposed to be asleep!  There's always one character in his books that hold the bulk of the humour, in this case it was JP, in others it was Ben/the Colonel/Isaac/ect. (PS John Green is really good at building sexual tension, (PPS I felt weird writing that on somewhere other than tumblr).
Ah how I have missed John Green's books.

The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle

If I had to pick a favourite of the three this is the one I would choose. I liked how Addie was self-absorbed, it's refreshing to have a character with really obvious and common flaws.  (It's kind of strange how few self absorbed protagonists there are considering the staggering amount of people who are.) 
I thought Lauren Myracle handled the character flaws well and the whole guardian angel thing could've gotten really cheesy but thankfully it did not. 

Addie is one of the most real contemporary protagonists I've ever read, although I have not read many. She had a playlist of sad songs and uplifting songs and, in my mind, that felt real.

Also, who doesn't love stories that involve teacup pigs? 


I can't wait to start reading more of all of their books in the future!

s'laters,
-Emilia


PS. Christmas Books Haul-thing coming soon. (AKA when there is natural light around, ten thirty at night, shockingly, provides none)

No comments:

Post a Comment